Annually, volunteers collect more than 75,000 pounds of oyster shells for restoration efforts. If all of those shells are returned with spat, that is replenishing more than 11 million oysters in the Chesapeake Bay.
How to Help
- If you don’t see your favorite restaurant listed on the Participating Restaurants and Retailers page, ask them to join us.
- Recycle your own shells at one of our public drop-off sites.
- If you have a home on the river, become an oyster gardener and grow oysters on your dock to help restoration efforts. Visit the Tidewater Oyster Gardeners Association website for more information on how to get started.
- Volunteer with us. As the program grows, we always need your help moving shells, conducting restoration projects, working oyster-related events, fundraising or organizing events, and help with development of marketing or communication materials.
- If you are a business and want to participate, contact us to find out how you can become involved.
- Donate to the VOSRP to ensure we continue to grow.